Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.

Thank You for Your time and answer, Martin:

>How do you copy the file? Maybe the method you use for copying uses
>small buffers and thus needlessly generated disk seeks. You might try
>using dd with bs=1M ;).

I do this w/ mc.

But w/ dd it is the same.

>> I ran OpenArena that freezed from time to time, say I had 15 secs of
>> playing then 3 secs of freeze, then game farther continues.
>
>It might have just be waiting for something on disk? The CPU does not
>seem to be fully loaded.

The 3D-game is just a bright demo of the problem - using other apps.
shows the same just less intensive.

[snipped]

>> >Then also include at least the following:
>> >
>> >- hdparm -I /dev/sda | egrep -i "(model|transport:|likely
>> >used|DMA:)" (replace sda by whatever your drive is)
>>
>>         Model Number:       Hitachi HTS547575A9E384
>>
>>         Transport:          Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II
>>         Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6; Revision: ATA8-AST
>> T13 Project D1697 Revision 0b
>
>I guess thats an 3.5 inch drive? (Don´t want to bother with looking up
>the model...). For a laptop drive above numbers could make some sense.
>Is it a 7200 or 5400 rpm drive? This could have an influence, since
>seeks could have been involved.

No. 2.5", 5400 RPM - still I do not believe it can be satisfiable
performance for the drive.

>> Capabilities:
>>         LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
>>         Queue depth: 32
>>         Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
>> minimum R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
>>         Advanced power management level: 128
>>         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
>> *udma6 Cycle time: min=120ns
>> recommended=120ns PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3
>> pio4 Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow
>>              control=120ns
>
>Thats nice, the kernel is using DMA for accessing the drive.

And probably, the highest? What can be a problem...

>> >- lspci -nn | egrep -i "(ide|sata)"
>>
>> SATA controller [0106]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5
>> SATA [1002:4380]
>>
>> IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc
>> SB600 IDE [1002:438c]
>
>Now there might be an issue. I don´t know how good this SATA
>controller works.

OK. Then my problem can be cured by replacing the laptop only, - I do
not think the drivers will be any better since long time has passed
from the manufacture date?

>> >- grep -i "model name" /proc/cpuinfo
>>
>> AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52
>
>Or do you happen to do this on a laptop drive?

Do what?

>Then this might explain this issue as well... laptop drives aren´t the
>fastest.

Even w/ such huge freezes/delays?!

>So my suggestions:
>
>- try to reduce the trigger on when the kernel starts to writeback data

How do I do this?

>- try to use ionice with the IDLE priority for the copy process

Is it manually or some tunable util.s aare available in the system?

>- or use block i/o controller to limit the bandwith

How do I do this?