Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.

Am Samstag, 15. Oktober 2011 schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:39:05 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> >

> > > I have terrible delays/freezes w/ any application whenever HDD (a
> > > SATA one) does its writing.
> >

> > That should not happen at all.
>
> But it does.  The kernel default IO scheduler (CFQ) has serious issues
> with "writeback" traffic (dirty memory that needs to get flushed to
> disk, be them filesystem buffers/metadata or mmap'd pages, etc).  It is
> often not that bad, but it can certainly stall things a great deal
> with, e.g. ext4+lvm+md combinations (there are others).
>
> Also, any fsync operation can be very expensive if there are too many
> outstanding writes on that filesystem.

There has been significant improvements with recent kernels. After
installing 2.6.37 - AFAIR - on my ThinkPad T42 which uses Ext4 I actually
thought I bought a new notebook. And there have been improvements after
that version as well.

So it might be a good idea to install a backport kernel, once its clear
the hardware is working to its specifications.

Ciao,