Re: why doesn't ~/.inputrc work

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> * 2011-10-15T16:26:59-05:00 * Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> So I guess its just a matter of figuring out how to designate the Alt
>> key in .inputrc. I haven't hit on it yet.
>
> Here's a part of my .inputrc:
>
>     set editing-mode emacs
>
>     # Non-meta keys
>     set keymap emacs-standard
>     Control-u: universal-argument
>     Control-w: kill-region
>
>     # Meta keys
>     set keymap emacs-meta
>     p: history-search-backward
>     n: history-search-forward
>
> So Meta+p and Meta+n get history-search-backward/forward functions.

Thanks for the helpful input.

That does the trick for me.. I could not find a way to specify the
`Alt' key (on standard 104 key english qwerty keyboard)
But using your technique things like this work now:

     set keymap emacs-meta
     a: "awk 'BEGIN{print ( )}'

And so I can call my favorite math calculator again with `Alt+a'
... hehe.

Thanks again.