Re: why doesn't ~/.inputrc work

> So you both were apparently right about it being syntax related but
> how can I get to bottom of it?
>
> Buzzing thru man readline, I didn't notice an example that clearly
> says how to designate the ALT key.  Anyone using entries in ~/.inputrc
> that rely on the `ALT' key, and can show an example of how it is
> designated?

I have to take that back, their are several spots in man readline that
show way to designate meta key.

M, \M are both shown... neither works here.

However the awk command can be called with
\C-a: "awk 'BEGIN{print () }'"

So I guess its just a matter of figuring out how to designate the Alt
key in .inputrc.  I haven't hit on it yet.