Re: What to make of this apt-get update output.

Harry Putnam wrote:
> First the sources.list:
>
>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>   # deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
>   # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

Note: No volatile there.  But you have volatile in the errors below.

> Err http://volatile.debian.org wheezy/volatile/non-free i386 Packages
>   404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.149.227 80]
> W: Failed to fetch http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/dists/wheezy/volatile/non-free/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 130.89.149.227 80]

Recently added to apt is the ability to have additional files in the
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.  Do you have additional files
there?  I think you must.  And think that those files must have
volatile listed in them.

As I am sure you know volatile has changed names in Squeeze and is now
"wheezy-updates" very confusingly similar to "wheezy/updates".  I am
hoping you find the problem in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/something and
will have your problem solved there.

Bob