Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:39:05 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I have terrible delays/freezes w/ any application whenever HDD (a SATA
> one) does its writing.

That should not happen at all.

Consider running a smartctl test on the disk, it can be dying or having a
severe hardware problem.

> My question is, Whether I can make any adjustments as to FS mount
> options, kernel parameters, etc?
>
> The idea is, If it works extremely slow - to reduce its (the writing
> process or whatever related to it) priority or whatever - so it affect
> not the OS almost at all - though the writing will continue forever.

I think you should first find out what makes this (freezes and slowness)
happens because if you're facing a hardware related issue, there will be
no improvements in tweaking the filesystem mount options, sooner or later
your disk will fail and you will only delay its agony.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón