Re: GRUB install problem with latest Wheezy weekly DVD

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:32:16 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> I try to install Wheezy with latest install DVD snapshot (20111011) and
>> when installer try to install grub it failed with "grub-pc package
>> failed to install into /target/". I switch to terminal four and the log
>> says:
>>
>> "Package grub-pc is not available, but is referred to by another
>> package. ...
>> Package grub-pc has no installation candidate ...
>> grub-installer: info: Calling apt-install grub-pc failed"
>>
>> Any idea how to solve this problem? The system is a x86_64 system with 4
>> gigs of memory.
>
> It seems this is a recurrent issue.

Thanks for your help! The previous install DVD (20111003) had the same
issue and I think it is corrected in current one.

> Are you using the "expert" installer mode? If yes, retry the GRUB install
> several times, I don't know why but the installer usually gets stuck in
> this step and after some retries it -sometimes- finally can get installed.

I am using standard text mode installer. I have tried several times
without success.

> If that also fails you can skip the step of the bootloader install
> (always from an expert install), install as usual and then manually boot
> the new system by means of a LiveCD → boot installed system. Once you're
> in, you can install GRUB as usual.

So that way I did. I boot with recovery option and run shell on Debian
partition. Unfortunately the system did not install grub-pc (and gnome
as well). So I need to run apt-get and then I can run grub-installer.
More or less I follow this steps:

http://giantdorks.org/alain/easy-enough-recovery-from-debian-testing-installers-failure-to-install-grub-during-setup/

Bye,