Re: Cannot login to GNOME after sid update (was: Oh No! Something has gone wrong)

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:58:59 -0400, Frank wrote:

> Did a full upgrade on my Sid system this morning...and now Gnome won't
> load. The upgrade apparently took Gnome from 2 to 3 and the "infamous"
> Gnome Shell.
> Well something went wrong...I have tried re-logging in again many times,
> as the error screen suggests..I have re-booted, renamed .gnome2 to
> .gnome2.bak, even moved .gconf out of the way...but nothing has worked
> so far. My old Gnome desktop was heavily customized, with wbar as an
> application launcher and a minimal gnome panel...but I don't know
> whether this had anything to do with the problem. My system does not
> support 3d acceleration...and I noticed that gnome-session says that is
> one of the requirements for gnome-shell.  Is this the problem...does
> anybody have ideas?

I dunno what could have happened (is gnome-shell already available in
sid? oh, my, here it comes...) but if 3D acceleration is not available,
gnome should enter into a "fallback" mode (kinda gnome2 desktop) and do
not use/load gnome-shell at all.

What is the error you are getting? Any pop-up message, anything under the
usual files (~/.xsession-errors, /var/log/Xorg.0.log), can you at least
login to the system from a tty? The more information you provide, the
better :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

I had the same problem when I installed gnome 3 from experimental.

If you can log in with a new user, then you should try moving some config files from ~/.gnome (or ~/.gnome2) directories.
I know it's not an elegant solution, but it worked for me :)

Cheers!

--
David