Oh No! Something has gone wrong

Did a full upgrade on my Sid system this morning...and now Gnome won't load. The upgrade apparently took Gnome from 2 to 3 and the "infamous" Gnome Shell. Well something went wrong...I have tried re-logging in again many times, as the error screen suggests..I have re-booted, renamed .gnome2 to .gnome2.bak, even moved .gconf out of the way...but nothing has worked so far. My old Gnome desktop was heavily customized, with wbar as an application launcher and a minimal gnome panel...but I don't know whether this had anything to do with the problem. My system does not support 3d acceleration...and I noticed that gnome-session says that is one of the requirements for gnome-shell. Is this the problem...does anybody have ideas?

--
Cheers
Frank