Re: What to make of this apt-get update output.

On 10/14/2011 10:46 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Wayne Topa<linuxtwo@gmail.com>  writes:

On 10/14/2011 07:54 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Lisi<lisi.reisz@gmail.com>   writes:

On Friday 14 October 2011 11:12:35 Harry Putnam wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why they still have lists of mirrors and such
on that very page.

For the benefit of those of us still using volatile?  Lenny uses
volatile, and is going to be supported until early next year.

You do need to check when looking up sources.list online which
version it is intended for.  I very much doubt that you found
anywhere on line a recommendation to put volatile in a Wheezy
sources.list.

You are right there... That was my own stroke of idiocy to edit in
wheezy.

Harry

Have you installed, and read, the debian-reference package yet.  It
can help you with some/most of your recent misunderstandings posts.

Installed yes. Read no (only partially) ... as must be painfully
obvious.

But man that is an awful lot to pound through without experimenting
and asking questions.

Finding answers in that tomb can be a real time sink.  Thinking up the
appropriate search strings is always a crap shoot at best.

For example, taking something I haven't yet posted about, but want to
know.

How to backup to an older version of Xorg.

Using the ncurses aptitude search (/) for the one you want to save and put it on hold. Or move the package file to a backup folder of your
choosing.

The most likely thing I found so far in the reference manual is this:
match with pending action         ~a{install,upgrade,downgrade,remove,purge,hold,keep}

And that took some reading and time.

Was the time spent reading that section, worth it? That's what most of us had to do when aptitude was introduced a few years back. When I started the tool was deselect and that you really HAD to read the man page more then once. The ncurses aptitude is sooo much better.

So it is at least apparently possible to downgrade a package... but no
idea at all of actual syntax, further... not finding how I might
downgrade to a specific version.

It depends on if the version is in you archives or not.
if yes you can use dpkg -i /path-to-package/whole package name.deb,
which will install the package but not the dependices or
if not aptitude install packagename={version you want} and it will
install the package AND it's dependices.

It led me to believe that `downgrade' might be something aptitude
might know about.  So now switching from 100s of lines of the debian
manual, to many many lines of `man aptitude'.  But oops no `downgrade'
Well maybe in `man apt-get' switch to 100s of lines of `man
apt-get'... and yes... I hit pay dirt there.

Depending on how you did the initial installation, it may be for some,
a good Idea to try upgrading/downgrading and screwing up the system.
They can then reinstall and hopefully learn from their mistakes.

I don't upgrade/downgrade willy/nilly so I don't run into those problems. I have a Stable, Testing, Wheezy and a Sid Partitions. I run update/safe-upgrades one or twice a week on the Testing and Wheezy partitions. Why do I do them both, well wheezy was upgraded from a Squeeze net install and Testing from a Testing snapshot disk. Testing doesn't have all the problems Wheezy has so I am (trying) to figure out how/why they are different. Both of them also use some packages from Sid.

So now I'm 40 or so minutes into it.  And discover its something
almost totally obvious... but I didn't think of it.

But even then since I want to downgrade the Xorg server, now I have to
figure out what it is I apply the `aptitude install pkg=<pkgversion>'
too. So I'm still not home free and easing right up on 60 minutes of
pounding.

Could have probably gotten several direct answers with good info for
4, 5 separate questions in that amount of time, on this list.

I'm sorry that the debian-reference is such a hard read for you but I use it
so much to refresh my failing memory that I felt I should remind you about.

Give a man to fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life

I used to teach Electronics/Programming many many moons ago.

HTH

Wayne