Re: What to make of this apt-get update output.

Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/14/2011 07:54 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Lisi<lisi.reisz@gmail.com>  writes:

>>> For the benefit of those of us still using volatile?  Lenny uses
>>> volatile, and is going to be supported until early next year.
>>>
>>> You do need to check when looking up sources.list online which
>>> version it is intended for.  I very much doubt that you found
>>> anywhere on line a recommendation to put volatile in a Wheezy
>>> sources.list.
>>
>> You are right there... That was my own stroke of idiocy to edit in
>> wheezy.
>
> Harry
>
> Have you installed, and read, the debian-reference package yet.  It
> can help you with some/most of your recent misunderstandings posts.

Installed yes. Read no (only partially) ... as must be painfully
obvious.

But man that is an awful lot to pound through without experimenting
and asking questions.

Finding answers in that tomb can be a real time sink.  Thinking up the
appropriate search strings is always a crap shoot at best.

For example, taking something I haven't yet posted about, but want to
know.

How to backup to an older version of Xorg.

The most likely thing I found so far in the reference manual is this:
match with pending action         ~a{install,upgrade,downgrade,remove,purge,hold,keep}

And that took some reading and time.

So it is at least apparently possible to downgrade a package... but no
idea at all of actual syntax, further... not finding how I might
downgrade to a specific version.

It led me to believe that `downgrade' might be something aptitude
might know about.  So now switching from 100s of lines of the debian
manual, to many many lines of `man aptitude'.  But oops no `downgrade'
Well maybe in `man apt-get' switch to 100s of lines of `man
apt-get'... and yes... I hit pay dirt there.

So now I'm 40 or so minutes into it.  And discover its something
almost totally obvious... but I didn't think of it.

But even then since I want to downgrade the Xorg server, now I have to
figure out what it is I apply the `aptitude install pkg=<pkgversion>'
too. So I'm still not home free and easing right up on 60 minutes of
pounding.

Could have probably gotten several direct answers with good info for
4, 5 separate questions in that amount of time, on this list.