Re: How to get version information in common notation

On Wed 12 Oct 2011 at 15:52:48 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Does it require a complete start over?
>
> Here is the kind of confusing mess I run into:
>
> sudo aptitude remove xserver-xorg-video-all
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>     xserver-xorg-video-all

[Snip]

> Looks pretty straight forward, but look what happens when I accept:

[Another snip]

> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 59 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 241 MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
>
> Doesn't this seem just a tab bit heavy handed.

At first sight, maybe, but look at it like this: you asked task-destop
to do a job for you because you didn't want to think through how to
achieve a particular end. It did it superbly well, pulling in all the
dependencies automatically to satisfy the task. Now you want to
purge/remove task-destop so it reverses the process it originally
initiated.

If those packages had been manually installed (that is, you had
explicitly got them) then task-desktop would have no rights to do
anything to them.

Solution to your problem: mark the packages as having been manually
installed. I don't use aptitude but believe it is capable of doing it.