Re: debian vs. wide-dhcpv6-client

On 10/11/11 15:28, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 02:37:40PM +0100, Wawrzek Niewodniczanski wrote:
   Hello,

   I wonder if you have any expirence how to set up a interface in
   /etc/network/interfaces to pick up IPv6 address using wide dhcpv6 client.
   It seems that I can have static and DHCP for IPv4, but only static for
   IPv6.
However, looking at the man page, there doesn't appear to be a dhcp
method for inet6.
Indeed. I also expected "inet6 dhcp" option.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. You confirmed my findings.

For further reference I can confirm that following definitions work fine with wide-dhcpv6. If you are using IPv6 only, the first definition is better, because second  needs to wait for dhcpv4 client to finish.

MANUAL:

iface eth1 inet6 manual
 up /sbin/ip link set eth1 up
 post-up /etc/init.d/wide-dhcpv6-client start
 pre-down /etc/init.d/wide-dhcpv6-client stop
 down /sbin/ip link set eth1 down

DHCP4:

iface eth1 inet dhcp
 post-up /etc/init.d/wide-dhcpv6-client start
 pre-down /etc/init.d/wide-dhcpv6-client stop

Cheers,
Wawrzek
--
Wawrzyniec (Wawrzek) Niewodniczański - (niewod @ LinkedIn)
System Administrator - Engineering Services Team (XenServer)