Re: [OT] Yet Another Language Issue (wa: imap with claws mail problem)

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:33:14 -0700, Al Eridani wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I didn't know using "dunno" was incorrect, I mean, when using a casual
>> language like the one it happens on a mailing list such this :-?
>
> Writing "dunno" in English is somewhat equivalent to writing "pasao"
> instead of "pasado" in Spanish.

"Pasao" is not a valid word in Spanish (you won't find that term
registered in the RAE dictionary which is nowadays the maximum authority
that regulates the Spanish language). And Spanish language is very strict
with its rules and norms.

OTOH, I've found some references to the word "dunno" in English
dictionaries (e.g., Oxford's, Cambridge Advanced's, Thesaurus's...) so
you can say its usage can sound "rare" or "strange" but incorrect?

>> I will try to get used to a more polite speaking, but I will have to
>> discard from my mind all that "AFAIK, IIRC, AFAICT...", which make me
>> write a bit faster and do less typos ;-)
>
> In my opinion, that is shorthand, not the same.

Well, they're acronyms, which in the end are a kind of contraction aimed
to reduce the length of a phrase.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón