Legacy nvidia driver fails to compile with kernel 3.0.x (was: nvidia-problems)

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 16:53:07 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

>> Okay, let's back then to your very first thread and see what can be
>> done, taking in mind *your card is FX5700 Ultra* and not a GeForce 7300
>> GT Ultra ;-)
>>
>> Greetings,
>
> I am so ashamed! It is just because on my work I build many used
> computers with 7300GT, so this was in my head.

No problem, now back to work :-)

> Well, to my problem: The legacy driver cannot be build, as it mourns the
> wrong version. Please take a look:

(...)

> /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx/Makefile:162: *** Only 2.6.x
> and later kernels are supported (3.0.0).

(...)

> I took a look in the "Makefile", and suppose, this is the problem: #
> Check for kernel versions that we don't support.
>
> BELOW26 := $(shell if [ $(VERSION) -lt 2 -o $(PATCHLEVEL) -lt 6 ]; then
> \
>                 echo y; fi)
>
> ifeq ($(BELOW26),y)
> $(error Only 2.6.x and later kernels are supported \
>         ($(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)))
> endif
>
> Maybe I could change this for fast testing? Or just commet this check
> out? What do you think?

It seems that's something already known...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=206412

And:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/576648

As I said, you can open a bug report (which will help others users facing
the same problem) or browse the web for a bypass (which will solve your
problem). Or better yet, you can wait a bit until the driver is available in
testing ;-):

http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx

Greetings,

--