Re: [VERY IMPORTANT] How to undo updates....

Am Samstag, 8. Oktober 2011 schrieb mark@neidorff.com:
> Hi,
>
> This morning synaptic reported some 32 packages to update.  So I updated
> the packages.  After the update I can no longer login (KDE) as myself.  I
> can login as myself in a terminal login.  I can also login as root under
> KDE (I understand the dangers).
>
> Now I would like to undo the changes that were made by synaptic so that I
> can get back to a fully usable system.  How do I find the changed packages
> and undo the changes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
Hi Mark,

in synaptics you can look into the history. Look at File > History.

Then choose the correct date. There you can see, which packages are updated. I
suggest, to write down, which packages you want to downgrade, with version
etc. and then use aptitude to downgrade manually.

A good idea for the future is, to save the installed package list from time to
time in a file. When you have a crash,m you can reread this file and revert
easily back. Synaptic is offering this option.

Also you may try reverting back to a state using synaptic instead of aptitude,
but I do not know, if this is working.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Hans