php

One of my users wants to put up a blog using WordPress. I notice there's a package for WordPress in aptitude, but it's in php.

I don't do php on my web server because I was told of huge security problems in it -- and until I turned off the php interpreter in Apache, I got many break in attempts involving phpAdmin and such.

Do any of you know of a similar package in, say, Perl or Python? Or can anyone convince me that php is safe?

--
Glenn English