Re: Ethernet alias fails to brought up sometimes when booting up

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:20:17 +0200, Santiago Castillo Oli wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Have you verified that with "ifconfig"? What's the output of that
>> command? Are only the virtual addresses which fail to go up? How about
>> manually bringing up them (e.g., "ifconfig eth1:1 up"), it succeeds?
>
> If I manually bring up, it works. It also works with "ifup -a". Only
> fails, sometimes, lets say 1 of every 10 boots, when booting up the
> machine.

That's even weird :-?

I wonder what can prevent the aliased interfaces to be up when the system
starts... have you checked the boot logs?

>>> This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:
>
>> Mmm, at a first glance the file looks quite right :-?
>>
>> Have you checked for any typos or hidden characters on the file?
>
> There were a "á" character in a comment inside the file. I have
> remove it, but I think that if that was the problem, it would happen
> always, not sometimes...

Yep, indeed... if it were something wrong at "/etc/network/interfaces"
the aliased addresses should fail always regardless the system state
(when booting and also afterwards).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón