Re: Re: Ethernet alias fails to brought up sometimes when booting up

Bob Proulx write:

This is the content of /etc/network/interfaces:

You don't have a gateway at all?  None?  Since I don't believe it I am
going to ignore that suggest having one.  But of course if you really
are on an isolated lan segment then you really won't have a gateway.

The gateway is set by ppp when dsl-provider interface brought up.

Do you *really* need to set the mtu to the default 1500?  Unless you
need to change it I recommend not adding that setting.

You are right. The commented gateway line and this mtu line, with other value, where used some time ago when the ADSL router established the pppoe connection with the ISP, and i did connect to the Internet thorugh eth0. Now the pppoe connection is managed by the server itself, the gateway line is commented and the mtu is not longer necesary. I will remove it.

You are using a style of configuration that I believe to have been
deprecated.

I didn't know that. I always used this style and is used in http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration, but it seems i'm getting old.... ;)

I will try the new style and see if it works.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Santiago Castillo Oli        scastillo@aragon.es
Técnico de sistemas                 976 71 50 06
Biblioteca de Aragón