Re: PC speaker stopped working after upgrade to Squeeze

On 04/10/11 14:00, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 23:24:35 +0100, Roger Lynn wrote:
>> On 03/10/11 14:50, Camaleón wrote:
>>> On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:04:09 +0100, Roger Lynn wrote:

>>> It means there is a PC Speaker device detected by the system, which is
>>> fine.
>>
>> But it only works the second time. Could something be disabling it at
>> boot, which is then overridden when I reload the module?
>
> Then you mean pc speaker _works_ but you need to "reload" (i.e.,
> "modprobe -r pcspkr && modprobe pcspkr") the module to get it working?
> Anyway, you can check if the module is loaded when you boot by issuing
> "lsmod | grep pcspkr".

Yes. pcspkr is loaded at boot, but it doesn't work until I remove and
reload it.

>>> Maybe a mix of them. I still have not clear why it works in some
>>> computers and doesn't in others.
>>
>> It used to work on this one until Squeeze.
>
> I'm also starting to think this could be something related to alsa or the
> sound card settings. What's your sound card chipset?

The motherboard manual says, "Realtek ALC889A codec". lspci says,
"00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)"
and "01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio".

Thanks,

Roger