Re: PC speaker stopped working after upgrade to Squeeze

On 2011-10-02, Roger Lynn <Roger@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I upgraded my Lenny AMD64 system to Squeeze earlier this year, the
> PC speaker (ie motherboard buzzer) stopped working. To get it to work I
> have to remove and re-add the pcspkr kernel module using modprobe every
> time I reboot. The only relevant bits I can find in dmesg are:

Same thing happened to me. I never figured it out.

Looks like this bug, though, now that I'm googling again:

The workaround is to add the line "blacklist pcspkr" to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and the line "pcspkr" to /etc/modules,
which has for effect to load the module later (like when you reload it,
I guess).  Then it works first time every time.

;-)

I think I might leave the whole thing alone though as I've become
accustomed to living without those pedagogical buzzes.