Re: PC speaker stopped working after upgrade to Squeeze

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:04:09 +0100, Roger Lynn wrote:

> When I upgraded my Lenny AMD64 system to Squeeze earlier this year, the
> PC speaker (ie motherboard buzzer) stopped working.

Are you using GNOME?

IIRC, beeper started to use "canberra" and associated libraries to play
motherboard's beep sound and so it outputs to PC speakers instead to the
boards one. Have you checked if the PC speaker output volume is at high
level?

> To get it to work I have to remove and re-add the pcspkr kernel module
> using modprobe every time I reboot.

(...)

> Is that relevant?

Relevant for what? :-?

It means there is a PC Speaker device detected by the system, which is
fine.

> My kernel is currently linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 2.6.32-37 and the
> motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P.
>
> Why do I need to reload the pcspkr module?

If you are in GNOME, most sure because of the above explanation.

> Is there any way I can get it to work from boot?

You can get the module to be automatically loaded at booting by adding
the corresponding module (pcspkr) into "/etc/modules".

> Is this be a kernel or udev bug, or just a weird hardware / software
> configuration combination?

Maybe a mix of them. I still have not clear why it works in some
computers and doesn't in others.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón