Re: portable driver

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:47:00 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> > But before when the graphic driver works, I can find it in /media.
>>
>> !?
>>
>> I still don't see any relation between these two (VGA driver and /media
>> mount point) as you don't even need a DE nor a graphical driver to
>> mount your external disk. You can always do it manually by connecting
>> the external drive and then type "dmesg" to find out where the disk has
>> been detected, then mount it with "mount" by passing it the right
>> parameters for perms.
>>

> sorry, don't know how to copy screen and use email in console,

GPM (mouse on console) may help.

> just typed something it popped up:
>
> [8038.643316] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] No Caching mode page present
> [8038.643403] sd 2:0:0:0 [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

Okay, then it's "/dev/sdb" but are you sure? To re-check run "fdisk -l"
as root.

> I used to find it in the /media, but now none.

Yes, that's usually managed by DE automounter (nowadays policykit based).

> I checked dmesg
> it showed USB Mass Storage support registered. but I don't know how to
> mount.

Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-
as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Thanks. it works. just a little question here,

I only have 2 partitions in hard drive,
why there are 6 sdb which ranges from sdb1 to sdb6.

I even don't know which two exactly are the true one, so tried one by one.

are there some way to identify each? sdb.

P.S. May I ask why you cannot access your DE as usual? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón