Re: [OT] British vs. American English

Hilco Wijbenga writes:
> Actually, no, we (Canadians) call them "First Nations" (or, at least,
> that's the PC term). It does have a nice ring to it.

But that refers to their political units.  It doesn't work as a label
for individuals.

> And it makes more sense than "native" since humans aren't really
> native to any place (check your history books for how humans spread
> across the globe).

Then neither are many other animals.

> And in the US (nowadays), it's "Native Americans". Calling them
> Indians was always silly as Indians live in India.

An extremely politically-incorrect friend makes the distinction by
saying "Indian (feather not dot)".  I just say "Native American".

Then there is the South American "Indio"...
--
John Hasler