Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

2011/10/2 Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:51:14 -0400 (EDT), Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> It's all rather simple really!
>> English is a language and 'American English' is a dialect.
>
> Whether "American English" is a language or a dialect is not
> the point.  The point is that the same words sometimes mean
> different things to different people groups.
>>
>> Dialects, from time to time, have a way of becoming possessed of
>> delusions of grandeur and, believing that there is an opportunity for
>> world domination, create initiatives such as making it the default for
>> Operating System installations and ongoing processing.
>
> That's ridiculous.  Americans are sometimes perceived as being
> arrogant by non-Americans (and unfortunately, sometimes justifiably
> so), but this has nothing to do with "world domination".
> *Something* has to be the default.  Naturally, everyone would like
> their own language to be the default, but that's not possible.
> Since the vast majority of the people who started the Debian project,
> including the founders, DEBra and IAN Murdock, were Americans,
> naturally they chose American English as the default.  It made
> sense.
>
> --
>  .''`.     Stephen Powell

Stephen

United States of America. Does "of" tell you something?

i am from El Salvador of America, but we do not take "America" only
for us; maybe it is related to common sense! or maybe low knowledge of
Geography. it is the same with North America without Mexico.