Re: wheezy after update significant slow

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 00:58 +0800, lina wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2011, at 0:16, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> >> Yes. It's nividia one.
> >>
> >> I don't know how to downgrade.
> >>
> >> I guess the only option to me was re-install.
> >>
> >> Do you know how can I avoid the slow reaction during the attempt to downgrade. gdm3 down?

> > Hi Lina :)
> >
> > since there's no [off-list] in the subject, I suspect this unintended
> > wasn't send to the list too, so I'll reply to the list now. Sorry, I
> > reply to the Digest, so when I push "reply to all", mailing lists are
> > just cc and I don't like to edit the recipient manually all the time.
> >
> > Downgrading is very tricky, don't try it, if you aren't experienced.
> >
> > It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
> > usually is a PITA. There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers. You
> > should try the package that fits to your graphics. Doing this it might
> > be, that you need to edit a xorg.conf manually, for a while you might be
> > unable to use GUIs, just text mode might work.
> >
> > So the most important question is, if you know how to handle such
> > potentially issues.
> >
> > If you should be experienced using Linux, then yes, downgrade X by using
> > text mode, aka gdm3, resp. X off.
>
> I feel it's necessary for me to do a practice of downgrading some package.
>
> I will check tomorrow possible.
>
> Can you provide something like tutor so I can follow.
>
> Thanks.

Then first backup your Debian ;).

Ensure that you've got
http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
for the repositories too.

With Synaptic you can choose packages from stable when you mark a
package and than push Ctrl+E, resp. by the menu
package > force version...