Re: wheezy after update significant slow

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 00:03 +0800, lina wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2011, at 23:50, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 21:04 +0800, lina wrote:
> >> My Sid one after updating also get retard.
> >>
> >> Lina
> >
> > Do Hans and you use the nouveau driver? If so, I recommend to use the
>
> Yes. It's nividia one.
> > proprietary or to downgrade X to stable and to use the nv driver. For
>
> I don't know how to downgrade.
>
> I guess the only option to me was re-install.
>
> Do you know how can I avoid the slow reaction during the attempt to downgrade. gdm3 down?
>
> > the Linux audio community this driver is known as unusable.

Hi Lina :)

since there's no [off-list] in the subject, I suspect this unintended
wasn't send to the list too, so I'll reply to the list now. Sorry, I
reply to the Digest, so when I push "reply to all", mailing lists are
just cc and I don't like to edit the recipient manually all the time.

Downgrading is very tricky, don't try it, if you aren't experienced.

It could be, that you are using the FLOSS nouveau driver, this driver
usually is a PITA. There're packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers. You
should try the package that fits to your graphics. Doing this it might
be, that you need to edit a xorg.conf manually, for a while you might be
unable to use GUIs, just text mode might work.

So the most important question is, if you know how to handle such
potentially issues.

If you should be experienced using Linux, then yes, downgrade X by using
text mode, aka gdm3, resp. X off.

But please be patient, let's wait for some other opinions. I might be
completely wrong!

- Ralf