Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 21:17:08 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:44:41 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 October 2011 01:09:16 Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> In England, "tea" means a full meal.
> >
> > Sorry to contradict you, but this is inaccurate.
>
> Hmm.  Maybe that's Australia I was thinking of and I got
> the two countries mixed up.  Anyway, though I was mistaken
> on one point, you proved my larger point.  The same words
> sometimes mean different things to different countries,
> or even to sub-cultures within a country, even though all
> involved claim to speak "English".
>
> P.S.  Don't ask for a napkin at a restaurant in Australia.
> You'll get very strange looks!  Ask for a serviette.
> To them, a napkin is, um, well, never mind.

Not too far out.
The different teas are: morning tea, which is mid-morning; afternoon
tea - mid-afternoon; Devonshire tea, which is usually with whipped
cream rather than the original Devonshire clotted cream, because it's
not available elsewhere and can be had at any time of day; and
'high-tea' which is a formal tea and in association with a light
meal predominated by cakes and pastries. I believe this latter to be
a translation of the german Kaffeklatszche (spelling?) that was
introduced through Prince Albert and his chefs.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"