Re: freeing up iceweasel .sqlite file size (was: Re: regards the /)

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 06:03 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> [Sorry for the late post, but thought this might be useful.]

[...]
> Have a look in your .mozilla/firefox/*default/ directory and you will
> notice some big *.sqlite files. They need to be "vacuumed" to free up
> space.
>
> Install sqlite (I think it needs to be sqlite3), for lenny:
> root@fischer:~# apt-cache policy sqlite3
> sqlite3:
>   Installed: 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1
>   Candidate: 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1
>   Version table:
>  *** 3.7.3-1~bpo50+1 0
>         200 http://backports.debian.org lenny-backports/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      3.5.9-6 0
>         500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org oldstable/main Packages
>
> Not sure for squeeze, hopefully someone will check it out and correct
> me.

Yes, that is correct, also for Wheezy.

> Then cd into your ".mozilla/firefox/*default/" directory and issue:
>
>    for i in *.sqlite; do echo "VACUUM;" | sqlite3 $i ; done

I have written a small script (3 lines) to keep track of that:
for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do ls -lh $f ; done
time for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do sqlite3 $f 'VACUUM;';
done
for f in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/*.sqlite; do ls -lh $f ; done

First and last lines show me the size of the files, while the middle one
will do the vacuuming, and time it. It takes about 14 to 16 seconds on
my system. I used to run this at startup, but now I just run it every
couple of weeks to keep Iceweasel running smoothly.
That one line might be a bit easier if you have multiple profiles in
Iceweasel than to cd into each one ;)

> I need to do this, because of:

[...]