Virtual resolution for desktop

For many years I've been able to get a really big desktop, so big you
have to pan around on it.  I used some code in xorg.conf to do it, but
now that X and desktops are generated quite a lot different.  I don't
begin to understand the process but would like to find a way to get my
old high resolution desk back.

The way its done in xorg.conf is with a single line of code in a sub
section of a screen subsection.   Looks like this:

,----
| Section "Screen"
|
|  [...]
|
|     Subsection "Display"
|         Depth       24
|         Modes       "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
|         Virtual     2048 1536
|         ViewPort    0 0
|     EndSubsection
|
| EndSection
`----
Note the line that says `Virtual    2048  1536'

That doesn't look all that big anymore since monitors have gotten so
big but its still more than most monitors can display.

With that in xorg.conf... I'd have a desktop of that size.... but when
I try to use the xorg.conf on this brand new install of debian wheezy
it just gums up the works... and can't get to X at all.

Is there some way to get a `Virtual' resolution using whatever
techniques are now employed to generate our desktops?