Partitioning my new 1TB drive

Now that I have my Seagate 1TB drive functional and recognized by Linux, I need to format the thing. As I mentioned in my previous thread, my current boot drive on this box is only 40 GB. I intend to keep it as the boot drive and use the new drive primarily for extra storage. Since I don't do regular backups (I already know what you will say about that) I am also wondering what I might be able to do, now that I have space, for a little added security in that matter. Perhaps I could just copy the 40GB boot drive to a backup directory tree and keep it updated with rsync, or some such? Any ideas on that?

My main question, however, was partitioning the 1TB drive. I have never had this much space to deal with. While it may be technically possible to simply make one big partition, I am guessing that it is probably not a practical way to do it (and I will want several different partitions, anyway). If I am using ext3 partitions with neither vast numbers of tiny files, nor small numbers of monstrously large files, what is a reasonable maximum size for a partition that will be easy on the file system and the drive, itself?

--
Marc