Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

He cannot.  Everyone needs a different '.config' if they are trying to
customize for their own personal hardware.

My own experience with this involved spending an entire day in January
2010 tracking down which options I could disable.  I also changed most
'M' options to 'Y' so that drivers would be built directly into the
kernel instead of as a separate loadable module.  (My goal was to
produce a kernel that boots without an initrd; most people will not
share that goal.)  Sven Joachim's suggestion to create a new '.config'
using 'make localmonconfig' should mostly have the desired effect, the
result could then be fine-tuned.  If that option had existed when I
was learning about this, it would have saved me many, many hours!

Good luck!
Dave W.