Re: Reducing kernel compilation time

On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 22:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 20:20 +0000,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2
>
> I didn't read the thread, just one mail.
>
> For my 2.1 GHz dual-core Athlon CONCURRENCY_LEVEL does minimal reduce
> compiling time. I suspect that consequently reducing unneeded stuff
> would be much more time reducing, unfortunately it takes a lot of time
> to edit such a basic config. I never did and still suffer when compiling
> a kernel and regarding to my audio needs I need to build kernels very
> often.
>
> Fortunately I'm able to use my computer, while building a kernel,
> unfortunately it might take an hour, before I know, that something fishy
> does stop building the kernel and this could happen 3 or 4 times again,
> before a kernel will be build.
>
> Yep, it's a PITA, OTOH, for other OSs there's no possibility to build a
> kernel that fits to personal needs.
>
> Live is a PITA ;)

An example

spinymouse@debian:/boot$ cat config-2.6.39.1 | grep TABLET
CONFIG_INPUT_TABLET=y
CONFIG_TABLET_USB_ACECAD=m
CONFIG_TABLET_USB_AIPTEK=m
CONFIG_TABLET_USB_GTCO=m
# CONFIG_TABLET_USB_HANWANG is not set
CONFIG_TABLET_USB_KBTAB=m
CONFIG_TABLET_USB_WACOM=m

I would like to have a tablet, but I don't have got a tablet. When
building this kernel, one time something unneeded was build as part of
the kernel and 5 times an unneeded module was build. Just one unneded
thingy wasn't build.

You can grep anything else and you will see, that you build tons of
unneeded stuff.