owner group question

In backing up and restoring my filesystem while upgrading several times, I
realized that I might have duplicate files in my home directory.  I used fdupes
and did find a bunch...that is not my question.

fdupes did find that there were many files that could not be accessed.  When I
examined the files I found that the user/group from the old system did not
match the current system (some files have numeric user or group names which
worked fine on other systems but now don't match the current system.

I was going to do the following:

$ chown mark:mark -r ~/*

but before I did that, I thought that I would ask if there are any files in a
user's home directory that shouldn't have the user/group ownership of the
user.  I don't want to break anything (like kde, etc) when I try to fix the
permissions.

thanks for any information,

Mark