Re: CUPS & network printing

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:10:36 -0500
Joseph Lenox <lenox.joseph@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 04:37 PM, Joe wrote:
> > No, the printer only has an IP address if it's a standalone network
> > printer. Such things do exist, but yours isn't one, or at least is
> > not connected as one. Cups will be listening (by default) on port
> > 631, on the computer's IP address. I can't remember if it listens
> > to anything other than localhost by default, you may need to change
> > the cupsd configuration file to allow connections from other
> > machines. Check with netstat. If you have Windows machines in your
> > network, then Samba is probably the best way to share the printer.
> > Since I do that, I can't comment on the direct use of Cups over the
> > network. My workstation has cupsd listening on all interfaces UDP,
> > but only localhost TCP. I would assume that is the default, since
> > there's never been a printer attached to this machine.
> With Windows Vista/7, it's pretty straightforward to add the CUPS URL
> for the printer directly as a networked printer. It should also work
> under XP, but it's been a while since I've had to deal with XP and
> networked printers. Samba would basically make the printer show up on
> browse.
>
> It's as simple as setting up a network printer under Vista/7 and
> entering "http://<address of sharing
> machine>:631/printers/print_queue_name" as the printer destination.

You are implying it works, OK, I haven't tried it. But Windows has
always had a 'Unix Printing' facility, it was just a bit flaky in times
gone by. Despite many peoples' beliefs, Windows is no longer a terrible
OS, but I prefer to use Microsoft when it stays in its comfort zone
i.e. not attempting to connect with other peoples' systems, hence my
preference for Samba.

--
Joe