Re: CUPS & network printing

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:25:39 -0700
PETER EASTHOPE <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Folk,
>
> A printer is connected to a Squeeze system here with a parallel
> cable. CUPS is installed and there is no problem printing directly
> from the host.

You are explicitly stating here that it is not a networked printer, it
is a printer attached to a networked computer. Not the same thing.

> I'm interested to have this printer work for other machines on the
> LAN. http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/network.html
> contains, "Verifying the Printer Connection
> ping myprinter
> PING myprinter (192.0.2.2): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 192.0.2.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=15 time=5 ms".
>
> Whereas here, this is the result.
> root@dalton:/# ping HPLaserJet1100
> ping: unknown host HPLaserJet1100
>
> Seems that for network access, the printer must be assigned an
> IP address.  Can anyone find documentation?  Can the address be
> assigned in /etc/network/interfaces ?  Otherwise, where?

No, the printer only has an IP address if it's a standalone network
printer. Such things do exist, but yours isn't one, or at least is
not connected as one.

Cups will be listening (by default) on port 631, on the computer's
IP address. I can't remember if it listens to anything other than
localhost by default, you may need to change the cupsd configuration
file to allow connections from other machines. Check with netstat.

If you have Windows machines in your network, then Samba is probably
the best way to share the printer. Since I do that, I can't comment on
the direct use of Cups over the network. My workstation has cupsd
listening on all interfaces UDP, but only localhost TCP. I would assume
that is the default, since there's never been a printer attached to this
machine.

--
Joe