Re: regards the /

On Sep 22, 2011 10:06 AM, "Stan Hoeppner" <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> On 9/21/2011 10:43 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> ...in my case, was
>>
>> flooding the "/var/log/syslog" file. Then it's too late and your system
>> may become unstable and slow meaning that you are royaly hosed :-)
>

> Which is why every old school Unix guru .......

I don't know that I'm 'old school' or 'guru' - either way, are we talking about a single install home system or server? Its been ~5 years since I've manually partitioned a home system. Worst case, I lvmresize and then grow the fs (what a pita).

Either way, its been a while since I've seen a unix box fall over because of a full disc. So, if something fills up, go in, take your time and figure it out. You might not be able to run some GUI programs (and some services might act weird - who cares this is a home system) but you'll have all the time in the world to fix the issue.

Partitions are great if you need then. Today, I think they are one of those things that, unless you can point to the use case you have, you don't need them.