Re: regards the /

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:24:49 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 September 2011 16:10:53 Camaleón wrote:
>> When you are out of space you will notice (you get a nice warning
>> message), don't worry >:-)
>
> I got no warning until it was already claiming to be 100%.  :-(

I did receive a message warning when my "/" was almost full, so maybe
this is a DE setting (I was under GNOME)? :-?

But anyway that 100% is not "true" (at least for ext3/4 filesystems) and
fair enough as you are still able to log in, right?

> If I were you I would take some action before it gets that far.  You are
> nearly at Camaleón's 90% on one of your systems.  Learn from my
> mistakes, rather than suffering from your own. ;-)

Sometimes this can't be avoided, I mean, prevention is the best -of
course- but there are times when, for instance, log files increase their
size so quickly that logrotate is not able to trunk them and your system
quota gets full due to an uncontrolled process that, in my case, was
flooding the "/var/log/syslog" file. Then it's too late and your system
may become unstable and slow meaning that you are royaly hosed :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón