Re: Debian Testing Xfce4.8 startx problems

On Wed 21 Sep 2011 at 09:40:42 -0400, rypervenche wrote:

> I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
> the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
> still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
> the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
> proper command to visudo, but no success.

Your using testing is not the problem. It is most likely the presence of
consolekit on the system which is the issue. A neat way round consolekit
and startx not getting on together is given by Liam O'Toole in this
thread:

Basically it involves dealing with policykit directly rather than through
the mediation of consolekit. You will need three .pkla files: one for
upower (suspend and hibernate), one for consolekit (shutdown and reboot)
and one for udisks (mount). The manual page for pklocalauthority is
helpful but ask again if some details are unclear.