Debian Testing Xfce4.8 startx problems

I am having trouble getting Xfce to work with startx. I have followed
the instructions in the doc files for xfce4 and xfce4-session, but I am
still unable to mount drives, start mylogin keyring, and shutdown via
the GUI (shutdown and restart are grayed out). I even tried adding the
proper command to visudo, but no success.

Things I have tried to solve this...

1. Creating ~/.xinitrc with "startxfce4", "exec startxfce4", and
something with ck-launch(er?) in it as well. I have tried adding
#!/bin/bash, #!/bin/sh to the beginning and making the file executable.
None of these have worked.

2. As per the doc file, it says not to use a .xinitrc file but a
.xsession file, so I have tried the same things with that still with no
success.

3. Adding my user to the list of sudoers to give myself the permissions
to shutdown and restart, but even that does not work.

I am currently using lightdm, however I would like to be able to start
my computer straight from the command line if possible. Is it possible
that because I am using Testing that I am missing some vital package(s)
for this to work properly?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.