Re: a quick Q: how did you handle files from windows

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:09:03 +0800
lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > You can also try with Google Docs, true is that despite I have an
> > account with them I never tried this app before so I don't know
> > how/if it will work nor what are its possibilities :-?
> >

> It's an yummy choice,
>
> I just roughly tried it, not bad, but there is a still some
> differences with those showing in Windows.

You're never going to win. Try older Word documents with newer Word
versions, and you won't do much better. Try changing printers with a
carefully-tweaked data-collecting form and watch it fall about all
over the page as the printer margins change... Laugh when a new version
of Word starts to appear, and all the lucky new users send new-format
documents to users with older Word versions... I think at least half of
the world's Office users have no idea that new documents cannot be
opened by older versions, until it happens to them. Logical enough,
it's not something Microsoft can be blamed for, but nobody ever
*thinks*.

Word documents are easy if the creator sticks to tabs and a few spaces,
and preferably saves in an early file format, or better still, RTF. More
than that and they are very fragile. And that's before you start hiding
annotations and alterations, which occasionally turn up visible when
you don't want them to...

If I'm creating documents for others, I'll use Rich Text (though a Mac
user claimed to be unable to open one) which at least every version of
Word can deal with accurately. But editing Word documents and sending
them back to Word users requires Word. End of story. At the very least,
even if you don't have Word, you need a Windows machine and the free
Word reader, to check your work.

--
Joe