Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

 >> I have no backup of my /. Yes, I know. I deserve everything I've
 >> got. But now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind
 >> soul come to my rescue? I would be so grateful.... I may, of course,
 >> just have to reinstall. :-(

 > A few areas to have a quick look at (if they are part of your root
 > fs)...

 > /dev -- there could be a "device" you tried to use somehow and
 > instead of using the device, because it wasn't there, it created a
 > "normal" file.

 > /var -- there are some cache areas here, perhaps using heaps by
 > aptitude?  /var/cache/apt/archives

	Good points.  (Of course, assuming that either or both of /dev/
	and /var/ are on the root filesystem.)  For the latter case,
	perhaps # apt-get autoclean (or even # apt-get clean) may be
	both helpful and reasonably safe.

 > /tmp

	As a matter of personal preference, I'm using tmpfs for /tmp,
	like:

$ grep -F /tmp /etc/fstab
tmpfs		/tmp            tmpfs   defaults        0       0

	Given that I'll also allocate at least a few GiB's of disk space
	for the swap (yet another personal preference), there could be a
	plenty of temporary space under my /tmp/'s.

--
FSF associate member #7257