Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

 >> I have accidentally filled something, that I shouldn't have,  on my root
 >> directory, and have now got a 100% usage of the disk containing my /. This
 >> is causing me problems. (Now there's a surprise!!)

 >> I have no backup of my /. Yes, I know. I deserve everything I've got. But
 >> now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind soul come to my
 >> rescue? I would be so grateful.... I may, of course, just have to
 >> reinstall. :-(

 > You should be able to find the largest files on your filesystem by
 > running the following command:

 > find / -xdev -exec stat --printf '%s\t%N\n' {} \;|sort -n

	It could actually be simplified down to:

# du -x --all / | sort -n

 > It will probably take a few minutes to execute, but you should get
 > back a list of files, sorted by size, the last few files being the
 > largest.

	(Though I'd prefer -r -n, so that the largest are to come
	/first/.)

	Back to the original problem, iff the logs (/var/log/) are on
	the root filesystem, I'd probably start from there.  It makes
	sense to backup this directory to a removable drive, but if it's
	not an option, the older logs (as in, e. g.: debug.[3-9].gz) may
	simply be deleted at once, to get some spare filesystem space.

--
FSF associate member #7257