Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:31:26 +0100, Lisi wrote:

Lisi, calm down and don't forget the good manners of sending plain text
formatted e-mails ;-)

> I have accidentally filled something, that I shouldn't have, on my root
> directory, and have now got a 100% usage of the disk containing my /.
> This is causing me problems.  (Now there's a surprise!!)

What filesystem?

Ext3/4 always reserves -by default- 5% of the partition space for such
situations :-?

> I have no backup of my /.  Yes, I know.  I deserve everything I've got.
> But now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind soul come
> to my rescue?  I would be so grateful....  I may, of course, just have
> to reinstall. :-(

You can try to login as root and make any required changes/clean up from
there (yep, from command line). If that's not possible for whatever
reason, you can always boot the machine from a LiveCD, mount the "/"
partition and remove the data or work from there to make it usable again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón