Re: crontab mails to external smtp host

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 22:43 +0200, Juan Sierra Pons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, it can be done configuring Exim to send emails to external
> domains using a smarthost.

Excellent.

> 1.- Configure properly /etc/aliases and add a default user to receive
> emails. For example

[...]
> 2.- Configure exim4 to send emails using a external smarthost. As I
> can see you have a gmail account. I have the same configuration in my
> servers.
>
> Modify your update-exim4.conf.conf and update the dc_smarthost variable:
> dc_smarthost='smtp.gmail.com::587'
>
> Create the /etc/exim4/passwd.client with the right permission
> -rw-r----- 1 root Debian-exim   401 abr 21 21:20 passwd.client
>
> And add the following:
> # password file used when the local exim is authenticating to a remote
> # host as a client.
> #
> # see exim4_passwd_client(5) for more documentation
> #
> # Example:
> ### target.mail.server.example:login:password
> *.google.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
> gmail-smtp.l.google.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
> *.google.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
> smtp.gmail.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
>
> 3.- Restart the exim4 daemon
[...]
It seems you forgot to mention I need to run update-exim4.conf?
But I figured that out.

> Have fun!

Thanks, works like a charm when using gmail :)
Unfortunately I was trying to get it working with a different e-mail
address, one I have with my ISP, yet this didn't work out. When using
that one I got frozen message in the exim queues and a message in the
exim log saying my ISP's smtp rejected the message as unroutable.

But I settled for the gmail solution instead, so I'm satisfied.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Steven