Re: crontab mails to external smtp host

Hi,

Yes, it can be done configuring Exim to send emails to external
domains using a smarthost.

1.- Configure properly /etc/aliases and add a default user to receive
emails. For example

# /etc/aliases
mailer-daemon: postmaster
postmaster: root
nobody: root
hostmaster: root
usenet: root
news: root
webmaster: root
www: root
ftp: root
abuse: root
noc: root
security: root
root: youruser
youruser; redalert.commander@gmail.com

2.- Configure exim4 to send emails using a external smarthost. As I
can see you have a gmail account. I have the same configuration in my
servers.

Modify your update-exim4.conf.conf and update the dc_smarthost variable:
dc_smarthost='smtp.gmail.com::587'

Create the /etc/exim4/passwd.client with the right permission
-rw-r----- 1 root Debian-exim   401 abr 21 21:20 passwd.client

And add the following:
# password file used when the local exim is authenticating to a remote
# host as a client.
#
# see exim4_passwd_client(5) for more documentation
#
# Example:
### target.mail.server.example:login:password
*.google.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
gmail-smtp.l.google.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
*.google.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password
smtp.gmail.com:redalert.commander@gmail.com:password

3.- Restart the exim4 daemon

Have fun!

Regards

Juan

Juan Sierra Pons
      juan@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202
http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00  6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE