Re: Moving to Debian server. (Re)Visiting the Postfix or Exim decision. Asking for Debian-ites' opinions.

patk.1034@sent.as wrote:
> Those needs happen to include making an informed business decision
> that takes into account others experience & opinions, the state of
> community/project, etc.

> Which is why I'm asking my question -- and looking forward to relevant
> answers.

At the risk of stating the obvious, one of the most relevant questions
to ask should be relating to your (team's) technical skills. If you know
postfix and can make it dance, use postfix. Likewise exim4. Or sendmail,
qmail, etc.

Where I work, we are (disappointingly) standardising on Exchange. However,
fronting that is an exim4 configuration that does routing between
the Exchange users, non-Exchange users, our CRM system, and other
stuff. Bolted off the side of that is another server that I manage for
many of our non-UK European colleagues. It runs exim4 with dovecot and
sieve. Exim4 works very well for me/us, and I've rarely needed to ask
the community for help - many of the questions I have had were already
answered in FAQs or other pieces of online help.

FWIW, on my home system (not work!) I've also added Clam and SpamAssassin,
greylisting, aliasing capability for multiple domains, and a number of
ACL tweaks that seem to help throw out potential spam without losing
"real" email. I strongly object to discarding email, preferring to
reject it at source whenever possible so as to avoid being liable for
backscatter. Fail2ban's a good addition to consider, too.

I suspect that when I started playing with Debian, had it been
using postfix instead of exim3, I'd be using postfix now instead of
exim4. (Certainly if it had been using sendmail as its default mailer
I'd have probably stayed with that, having learned how to understand -
and write - sendmail's configuation language many years ago.)

If exim4 becomes unavailable on Debian, I'll look at postfix. But right
now it's my preferred mailer because it works for me.

Chris