Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

> I had a case where it had snowed, and instead of driving 50 miles in snow
> and ice with dodgy DC drivers, I'd work from home. Had my laptop, was doing
> work. Well, they scheduled a meeting for that afternoon (at about lunch
> time), so I got ready and headed in to the office. I typed halt in a window
> on my machine, and went to get my stuff together. Came back a few minutes
> later and found the laptop was still up. Had inadvertantly (I blame
> focus-follows-mouse) shut down a remote box, our production webserver...

  You can use "molly-guard" to protect against this -- installed on the
remote system, it prompts for confirmation if a shutdown, reboot, halt,
or poweroff command is entered in a remote shell.

<http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/molly-guard>

  There's a legend that the name comes from an actual little girl named
Molly, who was visiting the workplace and tried out the shiny red button.

                                -- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net