Re: Console access using F1 etc

Uhm... no.  You said:

> > > I can not access the consoles by hitting ctrl,alt,delete.

That is a different key sequence.  To get to the console you need
CTRL-ALT-F1 through CTRL-ALT-F6 or so.

  <possibly_useful_sidebar>
    The /etc/inittab defines the following line:

      # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
      ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

    And is documented in the 'man inittab' man page:

       ctrlaltdel
              The process will be executed when init receives the
              SIGINT signal.  This means that someone on the system
              console has pressed the CTRL-ALT-DEL key
              combination. Typically one wants to execute some sort of
              shutdown either to get into single-user level or to
              reboot the machine.
  </possibly_useful_sidebar>

> I have noticed that in the last 2 systems I have built & installed
> linux on that this was the standard installation with xwindows.

Sorry but your words are ambiguous.  I can't tell if you are saying
that you found CTRL-ALT-F1 standard and working or if you are saying
that it has not been working for you the last few installs.

Let me assure you that a stock Debian installation with X Windows on
most normal supported hardware that CTRL-ALT-F1 will get you to the
text console.  If it doesn't then there may be a hardware support
problem.  Especially as related to the newer KVM and framebuffer
console.  Blech!  I hate that the Linux kernel dropped support for
much of the older hardware when they turned on that system.

> This function is disabled. I had to edit some file in /etc/ X11 or
> Xorg to get this to work. Its been a couple of years & I forgot what
> I had to edit & where it was. Sorry for the confusion. Not a rookie,
> just don't do this often.

Okay.  But how do you know it is disabled?  Don't jump to conclusions.
Instead describe exactly what you are seeing.

You are in X11, right?  Is this a gdm (gnome display manager) login
screen?  You press CTRL-ALT-F1 and nothing happens and you are still
left at the gdm login screen?  Or does something happen such as does
the screen go black?

Did you try Whit's suggestion to try setting vga=785 on the boot
command line to set to a 640x480 64k color framebuffer?

If you say the type of hardware you have then someone on the list may
have the same hardware and be able to suggest the correct solution.

Bob