Re: debian-installer: Guided partitioning breaks PERC2 Raid controllers

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> Because you used old fdisk (or new fdisk in dos mode), and it is paying
> attention to CHS information.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

> The world has changed, and left CHS crap behind, as well as the hacks
> from hell these older RAID cards did to try to recover performance from
> the absurd misalignent issues they had trying to match RAID stripe size
> to CHS boundaries.
>
> Nowadays, we have to align to either 4KiB (spinning rust), erase-block
> size (crappy SSDs) or RAID stripe size (any RAID).  1MiB works right for
> everything but very large RAID stripe sizes.

God, sounds like the crap I gotta go through when I play with
mdadm+LVM+somefs and get stripes and stride and md block size all in
perfect harmony. We originally doing this and didn't even have the
RAID card installed, but opted to try it out since it had battery
backup on it. Of course, until I stumbled on all of these changes that
broken the archaic thing :)

> Please file a normal bug, explaining that PERC2 and some other arrays
> require DOS-compatible MBRs and asking for an expert mode option to get
> that.  The package name to report the bug against is "debian-installer".
> You can use reportbug to file that bug.

Great, thanks for the package name to file against and the option
request. It's a shame that old Dell already has to use noapic (thanks
to EISA kernel issue), and pnpbios=off to shut up some warnings about
the kernel trying to manipulate stuff the BIOS seems to have locked
down when disabled. I swear, in 5 years, there are going to be some
many options I need on that stupid machine that you guys are going to
just replace it all with "troubled_install=on" option for me ;)

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to help out and point me in the
right direction. Cheers! \o

troubled